Heckscher Theater Rehabilitation
LiRo provided construction management (CM/Build) services to rehabilitate the Heckscher Theater at El Museo del Barrio on Fifth Avenue's Museum Mile. The 599-seat theater was restored to become a fully operational performance and educational venue. The space features a proscenium arch stage, decorative ceiling features, and 1924 murals with themes of children's fairy tales. Systems upgrades for the theater and the 1920s Museum building was also included in the scope. All construction work at this cultural institution was required to be of landmark quality.
The main project components included:
- Replacement of the theater's stage rigging, stage lighting, sound system, control booth fit out, carpeting and seating.
- Upgrades to the performers' dressing rooms.
- Rehabilitation of fire alarm system throughout the building, including theater and art galleries.
- Installation of a new HVAC system, including new duct work and equipment for the building, theater and art galleries.
- Replacement and upgrade of existing electrical service and switchgear for the entire building.
As Construction Manager, LiRo was responsible for integrating the work of the various construction trades and maintaining the Museum's daily operations, exhibitions and performance commitments during construction. LiRo designed a phasing plan that allowed the theater and the museum to meet these commitments prior to the actual completion of construction. This included the exhibition of environmentally sensitive artwork in the museum, which allowed the art gallery to meet committed cultural displays during construction.