Snug Harbor Cultural Center Building A
LiRo is the Construction Manager for this full renovation of the landmarked 1879 Greek Revival Building A on Snug Harbor Cultural Center's 83-acre campus. Construction of the Snug Harbor complex began in 1833 to house retired and disabled sailors, and the campus ultimately included 50 buildings designed in a variety of styles including Greek Revival, Gothic, Beaux Arts, Renaissance Revival, Second Empire, and Italianate. Although once a thriving self-sufficient community, ownership of the property was transferred to New York City in the early 1970's when the cost of maintenance became prohibitive to the original foundation owners. The property currently houses the Snug Harbor Cultural Center and Botanic Garden, offering a variety of visual arts, dance, theater, music, and environmental programs.
Building A will be the new home of the Staten Island Institute of Arts and Sciences and must meet museum quality climate and humidity controlled environments to display and store objects in its collection. The program includes an auditorium and art exhibition galleries on the ground through second floors; art conservation and office areas on the third floor; and mechanical rooms in the cellar and on the third floor.
Interior renovations include the removal of existing partitions, floors and stairs that had been installed during a previous renovation project, and modifications to windows and doors to accommodate additional egress and ventilation louvers. The original historic stairs were retained. New structural steel framing, interior vapor barriers, secondary egress stairs and concrete deck floor are being added, along with a new elevator at the building's core for ADA access and moving of artwork. Fire sprinklers will be installed throughout the building, ADA accessible rest rooms will be provided on each floor, and electric service will be upgraded. The project will ultimately provide 25,000 sf of improved gallery space and support areas.
Exterior work includes the restoration, and repointing of all exterior masonry surfaces, restoration of the cast iron pediments and balconies on the first and second floors. All existing windows, window trims and shutters will be restored and refurbished to working condition. Additional work includes the restoration of a brick arched "Hyphen" that links Building A to the adjacent Building B.
Once renovation is complete, the project will be submitted for LEED Silver certification, becoming the first federal historic landmark on Staten Island to be thus designated. A main sustainable feature is a closed loop geothermal system that is utilized to provide heating and cooling. The closed loop field is located adjacent to the building, with heat pumps and heat exchangers.